Supporting Phonics in the Primary Years for Teaching Assistants With the Centre for Literacy in Primary Education
- No Forthcoming Dates
- Teaching & Learning
This course will provide teaching assistants with guidance for the provision of a systematic, synthetic phonics programme following the pace and progression of Letters and Sounds. It will strengthen phonics subject knowledge and understanding of related terminology in line with EYFS 2014 and National Curriculum 2014. Participants will explore how to support children in focused phonics sessions and in the use and application of phonics in reading and writing in the wider curriculum.
• Understand the expectations for children across the Early Years and Primary age ranges
• Explore the importance of developing children’s early phonological awareness as the foundation for supporting children’s attainment in systematic phonics teaching
• Increase subject knowledge and confidence in teaching basic phonic code and supporting children’s skills in grapheme-phoneme correspondence, blending and segmenting
• Understand the complex phonics code and how to support children to know rules and patterns that will help them become independent readers and spellers
• Investigate how to embed phonic learning in a rich reading curriculum to improve children’s language, reading and writing
Participants will receive new ideas for supporting children’s phonic development with rich and meaningful activities and a bank of resources to use in school, including a high quality text.
For PLP members only - Buy one place and receive an extra place free. (please note discount will be applied manually)
PLP members: £125 per delegate Non PLP members: £200 per delegate