NQT Mentor Programme 2018-19
- No Forthcoming Dates
- Fulbridge Academy
- Early Years, Primary, Secondary
A Development Programme for Mentors of NQTs
Aims: To ensure that NQTs receive high quality mentoring and that this enables them to have the best possible start to their first year of teaching.
Key outcomes for mentors include:
- Clarity on roles, requirements and expectations
- An appreciation of the importance of emotional intelligence and rapport
- An understanding of the key concepts of coaching and mentoring
- Development of coaching/mentoring skills
- Enhanced skills of observation of teaching and learning and giving feedback
- Evaluation of evidence
- The structure of the programme
The programme is designed around three face-to-face days spread over three terms drawing upon ongoing practice of mentoring. All three days will include input, reflection, dialogue and structured coaching sessions with analysis and feedback.
The content of the programme
Day 1 - 3rd October 2018
- Roles and Relationships
- Requirements and expectations
- Development of an understanding of mentoring and the role of the mentor in supporting NQTs
- Emotional intelligence
- Exploration of the key concepts of coaching and mentoring
- Coaching practice
Day 2- 30th January 2019
- Developing Communication Skills
- Development of the key coaching skills of listening, questioning and an awareness of non-verbal communication
- Coaching practice
Day 3 - 8th May 2019
- Review of learning and sharing practice
- Assessment of impact and review the NQT journey
- Transactional analysis
- Use of metaphor and 'Clean Language'
- Organisational cultures that foster and promote mentoring
- Further development of mentoring skills and strategies
I wanted to say that on both days I found your style of course delivery was brilliant, never feels like death by PowerPoint! Interactive and engaging; one of the best courses I've attended due to your delivery. So a big thank you for that. I will endeavour to ensure mentoring does indeed flourish!! Participant, May 2015
PLP delegates: £150 per day
Non PLP delegates: £200 per day
All course materials will be available on arrival.
Lunch and refreshments.
Terms and Conditions
For our Terms and Conditions please click here.
Peter is a qualified executive coach and an independent education consultant involved in a variety of leadership development, support and school improvement activity.His career in primary education spanned thirty years. Peter was Headteacher of two primary schools from 1991-2005 and has enjoyed a long association with the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL). He also taught in a wide range of settings including a teaching exchange to Sydney, Australia.
Peter is a Lead Facilitator for a partnership of schools designing and delivering training programmes for school leaders. Peter was Lead Facilitator for NCTL’s International Leadership Programme and now works as an International Associate.
He has been involved in developing school leadership in Jersey, Sweden, Lithuania, Brunei and Australia. Peter finds it rewarding and a privilege to be able to build on the work of the National College to inspire school leaders, help shape perceptions, build confidence and develop their leadership skills.